Wednesday 10 July 2013

Kew the Music - Blondie in the Grdens

.....well, I'm having a quiet morning after getting home late last night after a fantastic show.

As you know, Gabrielle and I had planned an evening of fizz, food, music and dancing and the evening was everthing we could hoped for.

Thank goodness summer has arrived at last as the evening was (as a boyfriend a very long time  described me though probably with different spelling) soft, warm and balmy!  We found a prime spot   in the picnic area  in front of the stage and set up our encampment.  Opened the pink fizz and began with delicious charcuterie (what would one do without Waitrose!)

After the warm up act and a little break for Mediterranean tart and salad, Hugh Cornwell, front man for The Stranglers was on stage.  Great music; great to see him in person.

The sun was setting as the stage lights picked out the features in the Temperate House which formed the backdrop for the stage and Blondie made her entrance.  What a vibrant performer, such rapport with the audience, wonderful to hear her improvising on the songs so familiar from the CDs.

I was thrilled to hear variations on my favourite 'The Tide is High' ( loved the way they used it in 'Muriel's Wedding') as it featured solos by some of her band- that drummer is amazing!

Gabrielle had her (nearly) 30 seconds of fame when she was shown on the big screens giving her all to 'Atomic'!

After a hour of play and four encores, the fireworks shot up from behind the building neatly bringing the show to an end and preventing, what surely would have been, countless calls for even more encores!

Gabrielle and I stayed where we were with coffee and her delicious home made pistachio macaroons whilst the crowd thinned out.


Then I saw it, and you  must forgive my little rant.  LITTER!  How could so many 'John Lewis' type people leave SO much rubbish behind on the grass?  I couldn't believe anyone would wish to spoil the beautiful  gardens or be so inconsiderate, so arragant as to leave their detritus behind - especially as the paths to the exits were lined with bottle banks and big skips for litter.  Bring back the Wombles, perhaps!

Anyway, tonight I'm off to 'An Evening with Deborah Dalton' - my favourite milliner.  I'm looking forward to hearing about her ideas for Autumn/Winter and, perhaps, if she's having a sample sale, may be able to pick up another pretty little piece to wear to a wedding in France next month.

....talk to you soon, my dears.  Have a happy sunny day.

www.deborahdaltonmilliner.co.uk
www.kew.org/visit-kew-gardens


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Hello, my dears. I'm Clare, a discerning woman who enjoys all aspects of life from the grand and dressy to the muddy and messy! I like to laugh, eat cake and drink champagne. My luxury, if I was cast away on a desert island, would be an endless supply of Earl Grey tea and pillow! I know that's two things but I can't do without either. I always need to find new challenges so, at the moment, it's improving my French to a high level of fluency and understanding. If money were no object, I'd order a couture Chanel jacket - and then find the perfect little hat go go with it. (I also have a 'thing' about hats - hence the cartoon!)